Sunday, September 21, 2008

Installing Helix 2008R1


The long awaited Helix 2008R1 is finally out. There are still some problems with download speeds experienced by the forensic community that eager to try this new toy (including myself of course). There are some problems with installation to hard drive that I have found a way to get around.

1. Installation has to be started after live CD is booted by going to System->Administration->Install

2. Just follow the instructions and after you get to the Who are you screen, press Forward and here is the trick. The installation would usually stop there due to some problems with os-prober not being able to find volume groups. The trick is to press cancel and start the installation procedure again. It should work after that.

3. All new Helix looks nice and shiny but don't yet relax. Adepto, autopsy, av programs and some others would not run. I suggest to run an update (apt-get upgrade or allow automatic update), and after about 20 new updates most of the tools should work.

4. Adepto would not though, and to fix it, here what I done:

$ sudo -i
# cd /usr/local/adepto
# mv logs logs1
# mkdir logs

Obviously there is a problem with the logs file sitting in /usr/local/adepto directory
Instead there should be a directory/folder called logs

Done.

correction - I just realised that logs file is a symlink to /home/ubuntu/adepto/logs
I guess, if everyone creates user ubuntu during the installation, adepto should work just fine. (or create a new folder and symlink it )

8 comments:

ME said...

somehow my system tells me that "/home/ubuntu/adepto/logs" does not exist. In fact, there does not appear to be any /home/ubuntu/adepto" at all. Perhaps I could install Adepto itself, but I am unsure where/how to do that.

I am a linux newbie, so pls do forgive me if this seems daft.

eco said...

/home/ directory is holding users files, so if you created a user account 12345, you will see /home/12345. When you install Helix, it doesn't create /home/ubuntu automatically, and if you have created a user with the different name, adepto will not be installed correctly. Anyway, I suggest you learn about Linux first. This would allow you to use Helix in a more efficient way.

ME said...

Just for clarity, I am an OS agnostic with strong DOS and Windows experience. I can use Linux GUI just fine, and have no problem using Helix/Adepto for v1.9 and prior from the command line in order to get it to do what I need it to do.

I agree that I can always use more Linux knowledge and training in the future, but that doesn't help me now in trying to make this work today.

During the installation, the default user was named "ubuntu", so I am surprised that such sub-directories would not be created. I would create them myself if I knew which ones were required. If simply creating directories will make adepto work after the installation process, then all I need to know is what directories to create.

I do appreciate the assistance and input.

eco said...

no problems just go to step 4 and it should fix the problem and also should work with any user name you create.

Learning Linux helps in such situations, but I am not trying to blame/flame anyone here. I have plenty to learn myself :-)

Anonymous said...

Anyone else's installer hang at the keyboard layout screen?

bdmeyer said...

Yes, I have tried this on three different classes of machines. On this hp dc7600 convertible, it is handing after the keyboard layout screen.

bdmeyer said...

I found out if you do a ctrl-alt-F1 which brings you to the command line, then issue a:
ps aux | grep probe you should get about 5 lines returned.
Kill the process with a sudo:
sudo kill 9 15535
(the 15535 will be different on your machine, just kill 9 the process id for all the returns on grep probe) Now issue ctrl-alt-F7 to get your gui back. This will return the screen to a 'are you sure you want to quit the install? " select cancel so it continues, and it should now continue through to the end. (Worked for me finally)

Anonymous said...

Thank You Very Much Bruce!!