Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 guest in vmware - sluggish mouse.

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 at work and enjoying my ‘dual screen via KVM switch’ panoramic view :-) which was not possible before due to the driver limitations.

I also tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 in VMware and it caused the mouse to be rather sluggish. Installing vmware-tools didn't help. Next, in SYSTEM > PREFERENCES > STARTUP APPLICATIONS and in startup programs tab I added the name vmware-tools and
/usr/bin/vmware-user & This did not fix the problem either.

The best option to solve this was to install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse drivers by running the following command:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse. This completely solved the problem and everything now works as expected. I also found that some people were able to fix this with adding to their xorg.conf the following:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "VMware Mouse"
Driver "vmmouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

8 comments:

Fernando said...

I am being searching for days and nothing worked for Ubuntu 9.04. However installing xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse did the trick for me. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You can control your mouse settings in X using xset.
xset m x y will set your mouse acceleration(x) and threshold(y). You can run this from a startup script. for more details see man xset.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Been noticing all of my 9.04 VMs get strange after I minimize the VM... mouse jumps back to the VM tool bar and I can't get focus to the correct area... this seems to have completely fixed it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, fixed it for me too. This is on a thinkpad with both stick and track pad. The track pad is now very snappy (stick is still slightly slow).

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this. It fixed my issue too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Keep getting "could not find package..."

eco said...

Check which repositories you have enabled. Also, which OS? plus 32 or 64 bit. As a last resort google the package with .deb extension and install it that way.